Chapter 43 - Hunter

Hunter was confused. He thought that he would go up and kick Chad out. That she would readily accept him with open arms. That they would embrace and that he would kiss her all over. She would cut Chad out of her life for the rest of her life. Hunter and she would be together forever and ever. He never would have imagined that she would kick him out of his apartment. Maybe Chad was right. Maybe she didn't want to be with him. Maybe she was done trying with him. Hunter made his way out of the apartment and down the hall. He could feel it all sink in and he could feel the tears welling up in his eyes. The walk down the stairs, which he had done in a minute coming up, felt like days going down. Every step made his head hurt and his body ache.

"What was I thinking? I can't...She doesn't want me. She never did." He said, finally letting tears fall down his cheeks. "Just another daughter of Aphrodite-" His voice cracked. "Another daughter of Aphrodite that broke my heart." He said, tears pouring from his eyes. Part of him was angry. Part of him was sad. Part of him blamed himself for his stupidity. "Just like Aphrodite to lie. 'She likes you. How could you not tell?' because she doesn't! She never did! You just get kicks from breaking my heart! Why don't you just kill me already?!" Hunter finally reached the last floor and sat in the stairwell. "This is all your fault! What have the gods given me except trouble?" He broke down against the wall. "I became a hunter because of YOU. I have done everything you ever asked. I saved countless of your children. I'm not even part of the family. I have given my entire life. Everything. I have given you everything! What do I get in return? Pain. Anguish. Heartbreak. I lived according to what you wanted. Lived my life by your rules. All I got was pain." He finally got up and wiped the tears away. He didn't know where he was going to go, but he left the building. He ignored Tom's greeting and kept walking. He put his hands in his pockets and just walked. He didn't have a shirt. He didn't have shoes. He didn't have a purpose.

"You don't exist. The girl that you gave your heart, crushed it and threw it in the toilet. You don't even have clothes on your back." Hunter looked up to see Imaginary Hunter walking backwards in front of him, wearing his typical brown leather jacket and orange camp t-shirt. "You're homeless and alone again. That means I'm back." He said, folding up his aviators and tucking them into the neck of his shirt. He spun and fell in stride with Hunter. "So, what's your plan, then? You gonna live outside the coffeehouse again, hoping she'll come? She'll realize her feelings and accept you with open arms? It's not happening. Sorry, man."

"I'm working on it. I've been homeless before. I can do it again." Hunter said quietly. IH laughed.

"Yeah. Last time you were homeless, you sat went three days without a meal and got the crap beat out of you." IH shook his head. "That doesn't seem like successful homelessness."

"Just...shut up, would you? I can't focus with you talking in my ear." Hunter said, closing his eyes and shaking his head. He had been walking for a while. For once, he wasn't sure where he was in this city. He chalked the confusion up to his anxiety. "This is...I was just here." He said quietly. He looked around. There it was. He slowly walked across the street and to the door. He stepped inside and up the stairs. He stood at the door and took a deep breath. He knocked a couple of times, so quietly he was surprised to see the door open a moment later.

"Hunter? What-" Philippa stood there in front of him with tears in her eyes. It had been hours since he turned her down. "What are you doing here? You told me that it was too late. What do you want?" She said bitterly. What was Hunter doing there? She liked him. He didn't not like her. Where's the problem?

"Philippa, I don't..." He took a deep breath and wiped his face. "Look, can I come in? We need to talk." She stared at him a moment before sighing and stepping out the way. "Thanks." Hunter said as he stepped inside. He walked over and sat down on the couch. "El-" He couldn't believe he made that mistake. "Philippa, I'm so sorry. I thought that..." He took a deep breath. "I made a mistake and I realize now that I..." As he spoke he watched as a small smile broke across Philippa's face. She sat down and hugged him.

"Please, tell me you're saying what I think you're saying." She said, burying her face into his chest. Was he? Hunter really didn't want to live on the street again. He liked her enough. She obviously liked him. Maybe...With time....

"Uh...Yeah, Philippa. I am." He said quietly. He tried to convince himself that he wasn't doing this just for a place to sleep.

"Oh, Hunter! I'm so glad! I was...I didn't know what I would do if..." She said with a sigh. Probably the same things he thought about. She squeezed him tight and looked into his eyes before kissing him lightly on the lips. What made him feel worse was the fact that he was wishing they were Arabella's lips on his.