Chapter 10 - Hunter

Hunter blinked as he watched Arabella talk to Chad. ‘They’ve met. Hmm…That’s not so odd, I suppose. He just healed me. Why would she….What would make him deserve something like that? What did he do to her?’ He watched as he handed her a slip of paper. His heart sank a little. ‘What is that? Why did…What do I care?’ He thought with a sigh. He shook his head.

""How are you feeling, Hunter?" Arabella said in a soft voice, putting her hands in her lap "Are you okay? Can I get you something? Coffee? Tea? I think they have Jell-O."

"I’m fine, Arabella." He said eyeing her cautiously. "I don’t need anything. Thanks, though." There was an awkward silence. "So, what was…that…about?" Hunter said awkwardly. He looked into her eyes cautiously. She studied the ground. He could tell how bothered she was by this. She seemed genuinely pained by this encounter. He hadn’t seen her this bothered since… "Oh, Arabella." He swung his legs over the side of his bed.
"Hunter. No. Let him go. It’s in the past." She said quietly. He stood up from his bed and adjusted to being on his legs again. He kept one hand on his bed and took a few steps toward the door. Arabella stood up and put her hand on his chest. "Hunter."

"Arabella, he doesn’t deserve to walk out of here." He took another step forward, but Arabella pushed him back and gave him a sad look. He sighed and let his rage subside. He sat down on his bed and looked at her. "The only thing saving him, right now, is the fact that he healed me." Hunter said quietly.

"And the fact that you can barely stand, you dummy." Arabella said, looking into his eyes.

"I’m fine. I’m just…my legs are a little weak from going unused." He said taking a deep breath. "So what did the nurse’s say, then? Am I pregnant?" He said with a chuckle, finally regaining his temper.

"You had the flu. And then when you fainted you got a concussion."

"I didn’t faint! I passed out. It’s more masculine."

"Oh. My apologies." She said with a grin. "Either way. I’m ready to go when you are." She said calmly. Hunter blinked a few times.

"Arabella? Did you pay my hospital bills?" He said quietly. Arabella sighed and sat back down.

"Hunter, I thought you were dead. What else did you want me to do? It’s not like I don’t have the money." She said quickly before Hunter could protest.

"I’m ready to be put to work, then. Find me a job. Wherever you need something just tell me. I do not accept handouts."

"Hunter, I-"

"Arabella, I’ve been living like this for a year. When I get something significant, I do something in return. That’s why I’ve been cleaning Martha’s apartment, every week. That’s why I’ve cleaned the McCleod’s house every other week. I do not accept handouts." He said looking into her sad blue eyes. He felt bad for saying all that. "Arabella, I’m sorry. I’m not trying to sound ungrateful. I’m just…"

"Hunter. I know. Right now, you’re going to come home with me. You’re going to tell me how all this happened and then I’ll think about some way that you can start to pay me back. Okay?" She said looking into his eyes. "And can you cover yourself?" She said looking down briefly. Hunter gave her a confused look before glancing down.

"Oh, gods." He said before pressing his hospital gown between his legs, his cheeks a rosy red through his beard. Arabella giggled.

"I have to say, Hunter, I’m impressed, but we’ll save that for later."